To assist the child in identifying color and to visually discriminate different shades of colors.
2.5-4 years old
Box 3 has nine separate compartments representing each of the colors in Box 2, with the exception of black & white. In each compartment, the tablets range from darkest to lightest.
- Prerequisite - your child must understand the vocabulary "dark" and "lighter" to complete this activity.
- Introduce the child to the Color Box 3
- Take a basket to where it is stored on the shelf.
- Choose one set of colors (preferably a color that has a wide spectrum, e.g. blue), and place the set of tablets into the basket.
- Carry the basket to the table and remove the tablets in random order.
- Place the darkest tablet to the left of the table, and the lightest tablet to the right on the table. Proceed to grade the tablets from darkest to lightest.
- Ask the child to choose the color tablet which is just a bit lighter than the darkest one.
- Continue assisting the child in grading the set of tablets, always choosing the one that is "just a little bit lighter"
- Encourage the child to return the tablets to the shelf and repeat the activity with another set of tablets.