To confirm that a child can successfully draw the association between the quantity (concrete) and the numbers (abstract).
4.5-5 years old
- Teen Boards with the Wooden Number Cards
- 9 Ten Bead Bars
- One Short Bead Stair
- Invite your child to roll out a mat and take all the necessary materials to the mat
- Place the Teen Boards in a vertical column
- Ask the child to lay a Ten Bead Bar on the left side of each Ten on the Board
- Ask the child to make the number "Eleven" with the Beads, and then with the Cards
- Ask the child what number comes after eleven; he will reply, "Twelve". Ask him to make Twelve using both the Numerals and Beads.
- Tel the child that he can continue making all of the remaining Numerals up to nineteen in the same way
- Ask the child to read the numbers back to you.
- Ask a child to lay out all the materials as per the Presentation
- Ask the child to repeat the activity in reverse, by making the number with the Cards first, and then the corresponding Beads
You make a number at random with the Cards, e.g. 16, and the child makes the number with the Beads
You make the number with the Beads first, and the child makes the corresponding number with the Cards.
You states any number from 11 to 19 and the child makes the number with the Beads and Boards.
(Ref: NAMC Maths)